Position has been filled.
The Town of Greenwich seeks a Commissioner of Human Services to oversee strategic planning, operations management, technology development, personnel, board and external community relations for the Greenwich Department of Human Services. Position reports to and receives direction from the Board of Human Services.
The mission of the Greenwich Department of Human Services is to enhance the quality of life of Greenwich residents through support in meeting basic human needs and promoting services that foster self-sufficiency. As the images reflect, the Department serves as the community’s bridge. In addition to providing direct services, it connects those in need to the essential resources of the community including:
- Access to Health Care Services
- Educational and Employment Opportunities
- Personal Safety
The Commissioner leads a dedicated team of 22 full- and 32 part-time staff members and reports to the Greenwich Board of Human Services. The position requires an individual with strong community relations and management experience as well as excellent communication, strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Oversees strategic planning, identifying key goals and objectives, and analysis, design and implementation of policies and procedures to attain short and long-term Department goals.
- Serves as primary liaison and chief spokesperson for the department with Town officials, community leaders and key human service providers within the community and beyond Greenwich.
- Serves as community and department advocate in identifying and assessing community needs and innovative uses of resources to deliver social services using public-private collaboration.
- Assesses department performance and directs preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for Board.
- Attends all Board Meetings providing reports and updates.
- Manages the employee performance review process for the department. Assesses individual performance of direct reports.
- Analyzes data trends in the Client Track system to identify areas of performance strengths and weaknesses; trends and potential opportunities for new services; or opportunities for outside collaboration.
- Directs preparation of annual department budget and presents budget to the Board of Human Services, the Board of Estimate and Taxation, and RTM.
- Functions as the appointing authority for the department of Human Services, authorizing all personnel actions including hiring, termination, assignment, and evaluation.
- Confers with Law Department on client and administrative legal issues.
- Supports Town policies and procedures and performs other related duties as assigned.